Local News
Those concerns have emerged as the city and its contractors work to finish repairs
DETROIT – Some community advocates continue working with a list of neighbors in southwest Detroit, focusing on families concerned about structural issues and health challenges since returning to their homes after a major flooding event in February 2025.
Those concerns have emerged as the city and its contractors work to finish repairs to homes affected by flooding.
Veronica Rodriguez, a family advocate, described the location on Beard where a water main broke as “ground zero” six weeks after the flooding hit this area.
She mentioned that community advocates remain busy addressing complaints and concerns, noting that children are getting sick due to poor air quality in their homes.
Rodriguez is helping neighbors report lingering challenges, including those faced by Juan Hernandez, a homeowner on Green Street.
Hernandez reported that flooding damaged his basement, ruining many of his belongings. He expected to receive a new furnace but has faced delays.
“The inspector came to this home and told him, ‘Oh, I’m in a hurry, and he hasn’t come back,” said Rodriguez.
Hernandez shared that for about two weeks, everyone in his household has been experiencing illness, making it hard to breathe and causing significant weight loss.
Rodriguez noted that reports of stomach illness and respiratory issues are becoming more common among neighbors in the area.
Additionally, some families on Beard Street have been complaining of structural issues and electrical problems since the flood.
Rodriguez pointed out that one basement has many cracks, with humidity visibly rising from the floor.
The city of Detroit has stated that its contractors have already been inside more than 250 homes in this area, removing debris, cleaning, sanitizing, and installing over 130 furnaces and hot water tanks.
Gary Brown, the Director of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, acknowledged that the city of Detroit has proactively worked with neighbors and will continue those efforts.
The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department always anticipated a punch list of homes requiring special attention.
A punch list of 24 homes with unique circumstances has now been reduced to seven.
“We know that there are going to be individuals with unique sets of circumstances that we have to take a second look at, and we’re going to do that,” Brown said. “We’re not going to drop the ball now that we are so close to completion.”
Brown also mentioned that he is requesting warranties on the appliances and pipes that had to be replaced in those homes.
The claim period for this flooding event ends on April 3, and so far, more than 400 claims have been made, including 71 for vehicles.
–> Recovery efforts in Detroit neighborhood flooded by main break nearly complete — what happens next
Copyright 2025 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
About the Author
Demond Fernandez
Demond Fernandez joined the Local 4 News team in 2023, anchoring our 5:30 p.m. newscast and reporting on important stories impacting our community. He joined WDIV from WFAA in Dallas where he was a senior reporter focusing southern Dallas communities.
Discover more from Cave News Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Discussion about this post