World
1 / 2
Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved
Palestinians walk amid the destruction caused by the Israeli air and ground offensive at Al-Shati camp, Gaza City, Tuesday, March 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi)
The Israeli military on Wednesday ordered the evacuation of parts of Gaza City as it steps up its renewed offensive against Hamas.
Israel has vowed to increase military pressure until the militants return the remaining 59 hostages — 24 of whom are believed to be alive. Israel has also demanded that Hamas disarm and send its leaders into exile. Hamas has said it will not release the remaining hostages without a lasting ceasefire and full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.
The war was triggered by Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack into Israel, in which Palestinian militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducted 251. Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed over 50,000 people, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say how many were civilians or combatants.
Here’s the latest:
Palestinians protest Hamas in rare public show of dissent in Gaza
Palestinians chanted against Hamas during an anti-war protest in the Gaza Strip, according to videos circulating online. It was a rare show of public anger against the militant group, which has long repressed dissent and still rules the territory 17 months into the war with Israel.
The videos, which appeared to be authentic, showed hundreds of people taking part in an anti-war protest in the heavily destroyed northern town of Beit Lahiya on Tuesday. People held signs saying “Stop the war,” “We refuse to die,” and “The blood of our children is not cheap.”
Some could be heard chanting: “Hamas out!” Other videos appeared to show Hamas supporters dispersing the crowds.
Israel orders evacuation of parts of Gaza City
The Israeli military has ordered the evacuation of parts of Gaza City as it steps up its renewed offensive against Hamas.
The latest orders issued Wednesday apply to Zeitoun, Tel al-Hawa and other neighborhoods where Israeli forces have carried out previous operations during the 17-month war. The military said it will soon respond to rocket fire from the area and ordered residents to move south.
Israel ended its ceasefire with Hamas last week when it launched a surprise wave of strikes that killed hundreds of Palestinians.
It has vowed to increase military pressure until Hamas returns the remaining 59 hostages it holds – 24 of whom are believed to be alive. Israel has also demanded that Hamas disarm and send its leaders into exile.
Hamas has said it will not release the remaining hostages without a lasting ceasefire and full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.
Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Discover more from Cave News Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Discussion about this post