Local News
Michigan National Guard is deploying two teams with specialized skills and equipment
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is deploying the state’s National Guard and lifting trucking restrictions in response to the dangerous ice storm that hit Northern Michigan over the weekend.
The ice storm has caused serious damage in many areas in Northern Michigan, with many residents expected to be without power for at least several days. The Mackinac Bridge was closed for nearly a day for falling ice.
On Monday, March 31, Whitmer declared a state of emergency in 10 counties to respond to the damaging ice storms in northern Michigan. Since then, it has been expanded and now applies to Otsego, Oscoda, Montmorency, Presque Isle, Emmet, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Crawford, Mackinac, Alpena, Alcona, and Antrim counties.
—> 15+ state parks, facilities in Northern Michigan closed after ice storm
“We are continuing our all-hands-on-deck approach to help families and communities impacted by the storms in Northern Michigan,” said Whitmer. “Power restoration is a top priority, and I’m grateful to our utility partners for positioning hundreds of utility workers to help get power back online as fast as possible. State and local emergency teams are on the ground, and the Michigan National Guard will join them to clear roads, keep people safe, and help first responders get to where they need to go. We will get through this together.”
The Michigan National Guard is deploying two teams with specialized skills and equipment to help clear roadways and areas overcome by debris. Additionally, the MING responded to a request from the MyMichigan Medical Center in Alpena to stand up a temporary shelter to support emergency room overflow.
“Our Soldiers and Airmen train to be ready to support communities across Michigan when facing natural disasters,” said U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Paul D. Rogers, adjutant general and director of the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. “Our focus will be to assist state and local agencies as we clear roadways overcome by debris.”
Many counties are still facing widespread power outages and fuel shortages, making temporary fuel depots essential. To ensure a steady supply of gasoline, distillate, and propane, the executive order temporarily suspends restrictions on commercial driver hours for immediate energy delivery.
Additionally, the order lifts all state and local seasonal load restrictions for commercial vehicles transporting gasoline, distillate, propane, and other necessary equipment to meet the emergency supply needs.
Copyright 2025 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
About the Author
Ken Haddad
Ken Haddad has been with Local 4/ClickOnDetroit since 2013. He helps lead news coverage and content across broadcast and digital platforms. He’s from the Metro Detroit area, and loves covering important news (and sports) in his hometown.
Discover more from Cave News Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Discussion about this post